Day 1
I arrived at Villa Dubrovnik in Croatia.
![]() |
| Arriving at the Villa, May 2014 |
They showed me to my room. I walked in, looked out the window, didn't like the view and marched right back to the front desk. After much discussion, we were moved to a room with a proper view.
![]() |
| A proper view, May 2014 |
It didn't have a hot tub on the terrace as I had reserved. The room with a great view was cheaper but they couldn't (or wouldn't) charge me less. I negotiated breakfast but the credit only covered one person's breakfast each day. The hotel is expensive, the most expensive room so far. The rooms are small. The bathroom isn't huge either. The bathroom has a glass wall to the bedroom (see photo) which opens up the space but limits privacy. There is a curtain on the outside of the bathroom wall that can be closed for privacy. It's kind of odd. Ok, very odd. Drawer space is adequate. The balcony is nice, but unfortunately the sun is brutal in the afternoon when we like to sit outside. I hated the place on Day 1. I wanted to leave.
![]() |
| Comfy bed, May 2014 |
![]() |
| Bath thru glass, May 2014 |
To be fair, I wasn't in the best mood when we arrived. It was a long drive plus a ferry from Hvar. We had a very frustrating time finding Beebs and Miguel's hotel, as we had to stop and ask directions a number of times. We only had ask once to find our hotel. Had I not recognized it from the website, we would have driven right past.
I was coming from a suite more than twice the size. I had high hopes for this hotel. They were not met.
It got better though.
Day 2
I got a good night's sleep and woke up feeling better. In fact, I liked the Hotel more each day. It still was a bit of a mixed bag for me.
PRO:
The hotel offered a beautiful boat to take us to and from the hotel dock to the dock in town. It was a lovely 15 minute ride on the water. Thoroughly enjoyable.
![]() |
| The boat, May 2014 |
CON:
The boat ran on a one hour schedule which proved to be too far apart. We were either rushing or killing time to make it. There also wasn't any service between 2:00 and 6:00pm. To get into town was a solid 15 minute downhill walk to the gate and then lots of walking inside the Old Town. I was tired and sweaty before I even got there.
Coming back to the hotel was a bigger problem if launch times didn't work. And they didn't for one reason or another. The walk back was all uphill and the sun was HOT. It took 20 minutes from the Gate and obviously more from everywhere else. Although I enjoyed the boat, I would have preferred the Hotel was closer to town and we could choose between a short walk and a ride.
PRO:
Breakfast in the Hotel restaurant was out on a lovely terrace looking at the sea and the Old City. We ordered anything we wanted from a very inclusive menu. The food was very good. Yummy warm chocolate croissants were the highlight. It was definitely the most elegant breakfast. It was the only one thus far that wasn't a buffet.
![]() |
| Breakfast terrace, May 2014 |
CON:
It was a little too formal for my liking. The wait staff was very efficient and friendly but not relaxed, almost as if a supervisor was standing over their shoulder.
I have been pondering why I didn't love the hotel as everyone around me seemed to. I think I value the hotel room very highly. I don't use the spa, or the lounges by what passes for a beach, or the restaurant for dinner or the various bars and seating areas.
PRO:
Matina, the Head of Customer Relations became my best friend accompanied by hugs every time we crossed paths. She arranged breakfast to make up for the difference in rates and held the boat for us (it didn't work but the thought was there). She was busy while we came to the desk for info and ran down to my room when she was free to see if we needed anything else.
SUMMARY
The Hotel was a beautiful resort hotel. I think it was probably the nicest around Dubrovnik. I prefer it to the AH recommendation in the old city. I still feel the price was high in comparison to other hotels in Croatia and the modest size of the room. For you J.... definitely a thumbs up. With a suite I think you would love it.






No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments are welcome, and will be posted after I've reviewed them for appropriateness.