For our second day here we planned to take it easy. No forced marches around the city wall, no hikes back and forth between the hotel and the city. We came close.
Part 1 - Walking and talking. And walking.
![]() |
| Breakfast scenes, May 2014 |
After a leisurely breakfast, we decided to take a short ferry across to Lokrum, a small island 600 meters off the shore by our hotel. To get there, you simply go to the Old Marina in town, then take the 15 minute ferry out to the island. Given that we didn't want to walk to town, we waited 45 minutes for the next hourly vaporetto to town, them 45 minutes for the hourly ferry to Lokrum. So we spent close to two hours, although we read in our room before the ride to town, and did some window shopping while waiting for the ferry.
![]() |
| Vaporetto & ferry, May 2014 |
![]() |
| Dubrovnik scene, May 2014 |
Once on Lokrum(1) we walked around for a while. They have a very quiet restaurant on top of the hill, with decent (recorded) music, lots of shade, and peacocks roaming, so we elected to have lunch before continuing our exploration. After the usual lunch, we continued our walk and found our way back to the dock, and waited with others for the hourly return ferry.
![]() |
| Lokrum scenes, May 2014 |
Picture of Bassman by Sally
We arrived back in Dubrovnik with about 40 minutes before the 4:15 vaporetto back to the hotel, so we walked out of the city gate to a market and laid in a few supplies. Then back to the marina, were we waited until 4:15. At which point I realized the vaporetto is on siesta between the 2:15 and 6:15 boats. So we walked back out of the city, and up the hill to the Villa Dubrovnik. About 1.25 miles in the sun, which took about 25 minutes. Needless to say, we were both hot and tired by the time we got back.
Breakfast and the island, however, were very pleasant.
Part 2 - Camera Manufacturer Rant
I may have mentioned earlier that I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of travelers who are using phones or tablets as their only camera(2). Two years ago I would have put the portion at 10%; I think it now approaches half. This due to two reasons: the improved quality of these cameras; and the continued lack of effective social media and communications capability in "real" cameras.
![]() |
| Which camera do you like?, May 2014 |
Sometimes the foolishness of the traditional camera makers in this regard really annoys me. Not because I dislike people using phones as cameras; they are more than free to use the tool of their choice. This morning we were cruising into town on the hotel vaporetto with several other guests. A woman was carrying a $2,500 Nikon with a $2,500 telephoto zoom mounted, which she switched for a $1,200 shorter zoom. She then stood and took a bunch of pictures of the walled city with her phone. If I were the head of one of the major camera makers, this would make me nuts. I'd be working aggressively to make my products the ones of choice for these consumers by solving the connectivity problem. Sadly, it seems they don't share my view. I do believe they are on a fast path to oblivion.
Part 3 - Why I don't take group tours
![]() |
| Tour mob, May 2014 |
We were in the city a bit later this morning while making the boat connection between the vaporetto and ferry. The cruise ship tour groups were actually overwhelming - it seemed every 50' was another group of 50 people, clustered around a guide. The guides all have wireless microphones connected to receivers and earpieces that each of their charges use. This makes it possible for these large groups to all hear clearly, and for the rest of us (and other groups) not hear the guides at all. But walking around with that many people, all trying to get to the same vantage point for the same view and the same picture at the same time, just doesn't look like any fun at all. Not to mention that you always wind up waiting for some group member who is in the gift shop or restroom when it's time to move on.
Part 4 - Sometimes the best vacation is sitting in your room
Some people travel and make a big part of their trip sampling the local cuisine. They enjoy good food, and they enjoy new foods. I am certainly not in this category, and frankly, neither is Sally. Sally (as I think you know) really enjoys the hotels and accommodations that we are able to experience, often whether they are extraordinarily unique with outstanding service, or just extraordinarily functional and great values, such as the Miric Inn at Plitvice Lakes.
After the unexpected work today from too many and too few boats, and too much walking, we both decided to bag dinner out and spent the evening chilling and blogging in our room. I had a satisfying gourmet meal of cereal, peanuts and wine. Sally enjoyed some peaches, pretzels and chocolate with a water chaser. She didn't care for the $7 bottle of wine I bought. We both were totally satisfied.
![]() |
| Dinner in bed, May 2014 |
------
(1) You can get all the details you need to know about Lokrum here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokrum
(2) Beebs was one; I posted a picture of her taking a picture with her iPad.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments are welcome, and will be posted after I've reviewed them for appropriateness.